This is the procedure to receive a name-based background check.
- First go to dps.alaska.gov
- Near the top of the DPS homepage are some drop down menus that go across the top of the page
- Put your cursor over the one that says I WANT TO
- Choose GET A BACKGROUND CHECK
- On the next page, near the middle of the page, over on the right, is a section for forms
- Choose the very first one. It’s titled CRIMINAL JUSTICE INFORMATION FROM RECORD SUBJECT
- This will include criminal justice information from the State of Alaska only
A few things about the form
- It’s two pages but we never use the second page, so you don’t need to even print it out
- For a marijuana handlers card, check the second box for an ANY PERSON FOR ANY PURPOSE report
- THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ON THIS FORM is at the bottom of the first page. It’s a box that says UNSWORN FALSIFICATION STATEMENT. You need to sign and date this or the whole process will take a lot longer as it will just be mailed back to you for you to do this.
- ONCE WE RECEIVE YOUR FORM IN THE MAIL, ALONG WITH $20.00 in the form of cash, check or money order, we will process your request within a day or two.
- The results may be mailed or faxed but not both unless you purchase an extra copy for $5.00 requested at the same time as the original report. Additional reports requested at a later date are $20.00.
If you have questions about how the process works or how to fill out the form, you can call the Records and Identification office in Anchorage at
Marijuana Handler Permit Application Instructions