This is the procedure to receive a name-based background check.
- First go to dps.alaska.gov
- Near the top of the DPS homepage are some drop down menus that go across the top of the page
- Put your cursor over the one that says I WANT TO
- Choose GET A BACKGROUND CHECK
- On the next page, near the middle of the page, over on the right, is a section for forms
- Choose the very first one. It’s titled CRIMINAL JUSTICE INFORMATION FROM RECORD SUBJECT
- This will include criminal justice information from the State of Alaska only
A few things about the form
- It’s two pages but we never use the second page, so you don’t need to even print it out
- For a marijuana handlers card, check the second box for an ANY PERSON FOR ANY PURPOSE report
- THE MOST IMPORTANT THING ON THIS FORM is at the bottom of the first page. It’s a box that says UNSWORN FALSIFICATION STATEMENT. You need to sign and date this or the whole process will take a lot longer as it will just be mailed back to you for you to do this.
- ONCE WE RECEIVE YOUR FORM IN THE MAIL, ALONG WITH $20.00 in the form of cash, check or money order, we will process your request within a day or two.
- The results may be mailed or faxed but not both unless you purchase an extra copy for $5.00 requested at the same time as the original report. Additional reports requested at a later date are $20.00.
If you have questions about how the process works or how to fill out the form, you can call the Records and Identification office in Anchorage at